2017 Playwrights’ Unit
The Playwrights’ Unit, now going into its fifth year, is a year-long residency program designed to nurture promising playwrights. The writers will develop new plays over the course of the residency – with the Playhouse audience and resources of both the Springer Theatre and Firehall Theatre in mind. These works will be developed through:
- – Monthly collaborative meetings in Gananoque: an opportunity to exchange theatrical ideas and impulses
- – Dramaturgical support from Associate Artistic Director Rob Kempson and Artistic Director Ashlie Corcoran
- – A week-long writing retreat in May in Gananoque (accommodation provided by the theatre)
- – A four-hour workshop of the writers’ script in August
- – Full day workshops during our Sneak Peek Week in December – a series of free public readings of the playwrights’ work
Playwrights will receive a small honorarium for participation in the unit.
Applications for our 2017 Playwrights’ Unit are now closed.
Listen to Mark Crawford (Playwright of Bed and Breakfast) talk about the 2014 Playwright’s Unit on Art Freak
Local Playwright Crafts Comical Journey
Inside Brockville. December 2014
A jam-packed audience at Gananoque’s Firehall Theatre received a special treat on Dec. 4 as they were entertained by the hilariously funny Siberian Summer written by local playwright Paul Van Dyck. The uproarious comedy follows the journey of a young man, his mother and her two best friends… >Read More
Listen to our Artistic Director Ashlie Corcoran talk about the 2013 Playwrights’ Unit on 99.9 MyFM