OAC Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators
Funding for New Play Development
The 2020 application period has ended. Please check back for more details on 2021.
For information on eligibility, application guidelines and application form, please visit the OAC website.
The Thousand Islands Playhouse is very proud to participate in the Ontario Arts Council Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators program. As a third-party recommender, we are able to allocate funds (minimum $1,000, maximum $5,000) based on the merit of a project and subject to final approval at the council level.
Priority will be given to applicants who are BIPOC (Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour) and/or are from Eastern Ontario and/or who are telling regional stories.
The Playhouse will evaluate applications as per the following criteria:
- Is the proposed project innovative, compelling, and creatively exciting?
- Is the application complete, thoughtful, and well prepared?
ABOUT RECOMMENDER GRANTS: Recommenders are organizations authorized by OAC to receive applications, review them and make grant recommendations. OAC allocates a budget to each of the participating recommenders. Within six weeks of an application deadline, the recommender will notify OAC of their grant recommendations. Funding recommendations are reviewed by OAC for final eligibility, and OAC then sends you an email letting you know that your notification letter is available online in Nova. If recommended a grant, individuals must enter their Social Insurance Number (SIN) and acknowledge the notification letter in Nova. OAC then sends the grant cheque by regular mail.
APPLICANT ELIGIBILITY: You may receive more than one Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators grant in any one program year (September 2020 – January 2021), towards one project or for different projects. You may receive recommendations from more than one recommender in the same program year. You may apply for a maximum of ten Recommender Grants for Theatre Creators each program year. Important: Due to the number of applications received and the limited funds available, grants awarded may be smaller than the amount requested.
– professional theatre artists who are residents of Ontario with a permanent physical address in Ontario
– ad hoc groups/collectives composed of a majority of Ontario residents
Please read the Guide to OAC Project Programs for more eligibility information.
– non-professional applicants
– employees or board members of the recommending theatre organization, or immediate family members of staff or board members
THIS PROGRAM DOES NOT FUND
– creation of non-theatre work – e.g. film, radio or TV, fiction, poetry, etc.
– workshop costs
– activities in French (see the Théâtre – projets francophones program)
ACTIVITY TIMING: The activities for which you are requesting funding:
– cannot start before the recommender theatre’s deadline
– cannot finish before you receive your grant results, up to six weeks after the recommender theatre’s deadline
– must be completed no more than two years after you receive the grant results
FINAL REPORTING: If you receive a grant you must submit a final report upon completion of the project. See Terms and Conditions — receipt of OAC project grant funds for more information on reporting obligations.
– Name of recommender you are applying to
– Basic information about the project
– Artistic samples: script sample of proposed project; if the project is not yet written, please submit a sample of past work (Maximum 8 pages)
– Support documents: CV of the artist(s) involved (1 page/artist)
– Your answers to the application questions* which are:
1) Tell us about your (or your group’s) overall artistic work, history and achievements. What is important to you in your work (cultural influences, your identity, geography, community, language, etc.) and why? If you identify with one or more of OAC’s priority groups, or if your ad hoc group/collective or organization is mandated to serve one or more of OAC’s priority groups, you may choose to refer to this here. (Maximum 300 words)
*Writing tip: For ad hoc groups/collectives, explain why this particular group of people has come together. Please list all the individuals in the group here.
2) What are you planning to do, and what do you want to achieve with this project? (Maximum 425 words)
* Writing tip: Explain the “why” of the project – why are you doing it, why is it artistically compelling, why did you choose this project and why is the project timely? You should describe the creation process you will be using.
HOW TO APPLY: Complete and submit an application in Nova, OAC’s online grant application system. Before applying, you must create or update your profile in Nova. For help creating a profile or submitting an application in Nova, see the Nova User Guide. If you require additional support or alternative services during your application process, please visit the OAC’s Alternative Services page.
2020 SUBMISSION DEADLINE: Wednesday September 30, 1pm EST
CONTACT: If you have questions, please contact Sophia Fabiilli, Associate Artistic Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-432-8706